THE opening hours of a fast food restaurant in Wychbold will be extended after councillors were told there had not been any complaints about the restaurant in two years.
Wychavon District Council planning committee were considering a bid by the owners of the McDonald’s, in Worcester Road off the M5 Junction 5, to extend hours for the restaurant and drive-through on a one-year trial basis.
It currently opens between 6am-10.30pm, Monday to Saturday, and 7am-10pm on Sundays.
The application was to extend hours to between 5am-2am, Mondays to Thursdays and on Sundays, and to open 24 hours Friday to Saturday. However, the drive-through would close at 11.30pm.
Councillor Judy Pearce, who represents the area, said residents had demonstrated “virulent opposition.”
The council received 13 letters of objection, plus one from the owners of the neighbouring Holiday Inn Express, raising problems of noise, litter and anti-social behaviour.
However, Coun Pearce said she was “disappointed” that having expressed a view to her, none of the residents had turned up to publicly address the council.
“None of them have bothered to come and speak to defend what they’ve been saying to me,” she said.
Agent for the applicant Ed Baverstock reminded the council that opening hours at the restaurant were extended in 2009, without much incident.
“There have been no logged complaints of noise or anti-social behaviour in the past 10 years, and none about litter in the last two,” he said.
Coun Pearce said there had been a change of tone among parish councillors, who now looked upon McDonalds “favourably”.
She said due to its motorway location “it was an important place for business meetings”, and that “kids in Wychbold have nothing else to do – and in fairness, this is a peaceful place to go.”
Councillors approved the plan with 12 votes in favour, plus two abstentions.