Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting BA NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Norovirus outbreak under control
5:30pm Sunday 18th November 2012 in News
AN outbreak of the highly contagious norovirus at the Alexandra Hospital is now under control - although strict visiting restrictions are still in place.
Thanks to the support of staff and the public, incidents of norovirus at the Alex, along with Kidderminster Hospital and Worcestershire Royal Hospital, are under control.
The Advertiser reported last week that the hospital asked people to stay away and reduced visiting hours in order to control the spread the illness.
Mark Wake, chief medical officer at Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, said “Norovirus is a highly infectious illness which can complicate a patient’s medical condition and increase their hospital stay.
“It also causes major disruption as ward closures and quarantines can lead to cancelled operations and increased waiting times.
“We appreciate public support to protect hospital patients.”
There is no specific treatment for norovirus apart from letting the illness run its course, but there are simple infection control procedures.
Helen Blanchard, chief nursing officer for the trust, said that they are currently managing the outbreak well, and are starting to reopen wards.
She said: “It can be very difficult to contain the spread of this illness and we are therefore working with colleagues in the community to provide more care in the home unless the patient requires admission because of additional health concerns.
“By working together we can reduce the risk of spreading the infection to patients and staff.”
For the latest information on visiting restrictions, go to worcsacute.nhs.uk.