Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting BA NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Warning after Alvechurch chip pan fire
6:00pm Wednesday 6th February 2013 in News
HEREFORD & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is issuing a kitchen safety reminder following a chip pan fire at a flat in Buckleys Green, Alvechurch, on Monday, February 4.
The service was alerted to the incident at around 5.05pm and two fire engines from Redditch fire station attended.
Crews found a small fire involving an unattended chip pan in a ground floor flat and as the property was unoccupied at the time, they forced entry and then extinguished the fire with two firefighters in breathing apparatus and one hose reel used. They also used positive pressure ventilation to help clear heavy smoke logging from the flat.
While no one was hurt as a result of the incident, HWFRS warned that chip pan fires can all too easily cause serious injury as well as severe damage to a property.
The service will be issuing full kitchen safety advice during National Chip Week which runs from February 18-24 this year, but urged people ahead of this to be sure to keep an eye on their cooking at all times and to be especially careful when using hot oil.