Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting BA NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
More warnings after spate of chimney fires
4:40pm Tuesday 5th March 2013 in News
HEREFORD & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is reissuing its chimney safety advice after being called to eight incidents over the weekend involving real fires or woodburning stoves.
On Friday, March 1, Redditch firefighters were called to a chimney fire at a house in Latimer Road in Alvechurch while on Saturday lunchtime, Worcester crews were called to a fire involving a woodburning stove in Woodbury Lane, Norton.
Later on Saturday evening, firefighters from Evesham were called to extinguish a small fire in a chimney at a property in Leys Road in Harvington.
Ledbury crews were then called out to two separate fires involving woodburning stoves on Sunday lunchtime, the first in Berrow in Malvern and the second in Parkway in Ledbury. This was followed by three further chimney fires, one in Cradley in Malvern and then two more on Sunday evening, both in Leintwardine and both attended by a crew from Leintwardine fire station.
Station Commander Alan Haley from HWFRS’s Community Safety department said: “We saw a cluster of chimney fires once again this weekend over the two counties and while there were no injuries as a result of these incidents, we want to ensure people realise just how devastating chimney fires can prove.”
He explained that a chimney fire can all too easily spread into the roof and can completely destroy homes.
He added: “Most chimney fires, however, are avoidable simply through good care and maintenance and we would urge anyone with a real fire or woodburning stove to ensure they have their chimney swept on a regular basis throughout the winter months.”
A list of approved chimney sweeps operating locally and further chimney safety advice is available from hwfire.org.uk under the Your Safety heading.