Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting BA NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Bromsgrove Carnival organisers to decide whether event goes-ahead
11:48am Wednesday 4th July 2012 in News
FOLLOWING the recent heavy rain organisers of this weekend’s Bromsgrove Carnival have issued a statement regarding whether the event will go ahead as planned.
Organiser say they met those responsible for Sanders Park, the Kidderminster Road-based venue where the procession will head to, and discussed putting restrictions in place.
Problems have been caused by the unusual weather conditions of the last week, and organisers say prolonged or heavy showers could waterlog the ground.
The organisers stress the event has not been cancelled, but they say it is likely a final decision will be made this Friday, July 6.
The full statement says: “It has been and always will be the carnival organisers’ main priority to stage a safe and fun, free event for everyone in Bromsgrove.
“This has not changed.
“We have met with those responsible for Sanders Park and discussed restrictions in place, as caused by the unusual weather conditions.
“This is NOT an event cancellation. We very much wish to continue with the event, but will need to reconsider the matter soon.
“Friday, July 6, is now likely to be the day a final decision is made.
“Prolonged or heavy showers could waterlog the ground and having vehicles cross that grass is likely to cause damage.
“With this in mind there is unlikely to be any vehicle access to the grass areas of the park, and significant restrictions to all parking options.
“As a contingency we are currently working at adjusting the layout of the event to limit the damage to the fantastic public space of Sanders Park.
“If heavy rainfall continues certain events are likely to be postponed.
“Thank you for your continuing patience. We will provide as many updates as possible, but the weather will ultimately decide on the outcome of some of the events.”