Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting BA NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Householders warned to have adequate floods insurance
11:04am Tuesday 5th February 2013 in Business Daily
WITH the Met Office predicting heavy rain and flooding across parts of the UK, Swinton is warning homeowners in flood-prone areas to ensure they have adequate cover should the worst happen.
Flood warnings are already in place for the Midlands, North East, South West, and Wales after heavy rain adds to the already thawing snow.
Swinton Insurance is advising homeowners to check the level of cover they have to make sure it is adequate to cover the value of their home and possessions.
Swinton is also offering advice to homeowners who might be in flood-prone areas:
- Lay sandbags along doorways to reduce the amount of water coming into the home
- Move electrical equipment, valuables, photographs and any important paperwork or documents upstairs
- Move soft furnishings like rugs upstairs and unhook long curtains and fold them over their railings to keep them dry
- Pack an emergency kit with ID, medication and a change of clothes in case of evacuation
- Keep a list of important contact numbers handy
Steve Chelton, claims manager at Swinton, said, “It is easy for homeowners to overlook the threat that natural disasters such as flooding can cause to their home. If you do live in a flood-prone area it is vital that you have adequate insurance to protect against flooding.”