MULTIPLE fire crews tackled a blaze at a two-storey building in Bromsgrove.

The fire broke out around 3.30pm on Tuesday, November 27 at a property on the A448 in Dodford, with teams from Bromsgrove, Kidderminster, Droitwich, and Redditch sent to put it out.

Six water jets, along with ladders, a triple extension ladder, a roof ladder, thermal imaging and gas monitors had to be used.

A fire spokesman said that the fire destroyed 30 per cent of the first floor with external damage to an adjacent property.

They added all people were accounted for and that a fire investigation is currently under way

The incident comes after Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue (HWFRS) warned people of the dangers of house fires caused by electrical appliances.

In the last three years, 15 per cent of house fires in Herefordshire and Worcestershire were caused by heating appliances, resulting in two deaths and 18 injuries.

Group commander Mick Cadman of HWFRS said: "Portable heating equipment that hasn't been used since earlier in the year should be checked for broken cabling or exposed wires, and no portable heating appliance should ever be covered or left unattended.

"Ensure that older or more vulnerable people in your family are not using faulty appliances by visually checking any heaters and electric blankets that they may rely on during the winter."

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue has highlighted some simple visual checks that relatives and neighbours can carry out and help to keep their friends and family safe.

These include looking out for overloaded plug sockets including four-way adaptors and storing flammable clutter (such as paper) away from tops of microwaves.

They say to make sure any portable heaters are used safely and should not be used to heat or dry clothes or left switched on and unattended.

Electric blankets should be checked they are in a good condition before use, with manufacturers safety instructions followed.

It is recommended if an electric blanket is more than 10-years old, it should be replaced.

It is advised to also check for product recalls for faulty items.

To arrange a home fire safety check, contact the Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue community risk team on 0800 032 1155.

For more advice on electrical safety for older people, visit