A WIDOW claims that delays in her husband's treatment at the city's hospital cost him his life, ahead of his inquest today.

Jayne Jones' husband, Colin, a florist, died from a brain haemorrhage, aged 54, on Christmas Eve in 2017.

She called on Worcestershire Royal Hospital and West Midlands Ambulance Service to take responsibility for his death.

The widow said that the first paramedic who arrived at her home decided against taking her husband to hospital.

She rang another ambulance the next day - and it was only then that he was rushed to Worcestershire Royal Hospital, arriving at around 9am.

Mrs Jones, who works at Flowers of Worcester, said: "The ambulance shouted for resus [trauma team] and they said they were too busy.

"A junior doctor said 'there are some poorly people in the hospital and we are really busy so you will have to wait your turn'. By 10am he had stopped breathing."

Mrs Jones said she shouted for help, prompting medical staff to perform CPR before putting him on life support.

He then had a brain scan which the hospital tried to send to a team of neurosurgeons in Coventry at 10am.

The mother claims the hospital found out that the Coventry team had not received the scan at 12.30pm, although they later got it at 1pm.

Mrs Jones added that her husband, a father-of-three, finally arrived at University Hospital Coventry at 5pm.

She said her solicitors are trying to find out what caused the delay in her husband's transportation to Coventry.

The widow added: "That time lapse cost him his life. By the time he got there his eyes were dilating, which means you are brain dead basically.

"We had to turn off his life support machine. He died at 11.30pm on Christmas Eve."

She said her husband's brain haemorrhage was caused by a blocked artery in his neck.

Mrs Jones, aged 55, of Charford, in Bromsgrove, believes that his death could have been prevented by his GP and the ambulance service.

She added that his GP had misdiagnosed him when he complained about his health in the weeks before his death.

His inquest starts at Worcestershire Coroner's Court today.

Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the city's hospital, and West Midlands Ambulance Service declined to comment ahead of the inquest.