OVERLOADED electrics are believed to have caused a house fire in Hagley that took firefighters more than 12 hours to make safe.

Two crews were called to tackle the 'severe' fire on the ground floor of a house on Worcester Road just after 4.30pm on Monday (July 15).

Traffic users reported heavy delays in the area while emergency services were dealing with the fire.

Utility engineers had to be called to the property to isolate gas and electricity supplies.

Fire crews remained at the scene to damp down hot spots and inspect the scene throughout the night until 7am on Tuesday.

"A fire investigation concluded the cause was overloaded electrics, and police are continuing an investigation. No casualties were reported," said Hereford & Worcester Fire Service spokesperson.

A West Mercia Police spokesperson said the fire 'is not being treated as suspicious at this time'.