A WOMAN and girl were forced to flee a house in Northfield after a blaze broke out in the front bedroom.

A total of 18 firefighters tackled a fire on Rhayader Road on Wednesday, May 4.

The fire broke out in the front bedroom of the terraced property and is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

A woman and a girl escaped from the house before West Midlands Fire Service arrived and received precautionary checks from West Midlands Ambulance Service.

A cat and two rats were rescued by firefighters and the cat was given oxygen.

A spokesperson for West Midlands Fire Service said: “Crews from Northfield, Woodgate Valley and Kings Norton attended a house fire on Rhayader Road, Northfield, Birmingham on May 4 at 5 pm."

“All persons were accounted for at the incident."

The residents are in contact with their housing association as they will need to be rehomed.