A MAN in his twenties has died after a hot balloon crash in Worcestershire.

West Mercia Police have said that a man was pronounced dead at the scene of a hot air balloon crash on Sunday morning (June 25).

His family are now being supported by West Mercia Police's specialist family liaison officers. 

The balloon fell to the ground in a field off Holt Fleet Road, near Ombersley Court.

The balloon could be seen wrapped around a tree.

READ MORE: Man dies in hot air balloon crash in Ombersley

A spokesperson for West Mercia Police said: "At 6.20am police received a call that a hot air balloon had deflated and fallen to the ground near the A449 at Ombersley.

"Emergency services attended and unfortunately a man was pronounced dead by paramedics.

"The Air Accident Investigation Branch will now carry out an investigation."

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch investigates civil aircraft accidents and serious incidents within the UK, its overseas territories and crown dependencies.

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service also provided a comment on the crash.

A spokesperson said: "We went out to an incident involving a hot air balloon in Ombersley on the Holt Fleet Road.

"We had a call at 6.23am, crews from Worcester, Droitwich, Wyre Forest, Evesham and Bromsgrove attended."

The spokesperson said they had left the scene, leaving it to police, by 11.30am.

At Holt Fleet Road, there was an officer at the scene and a police vehicle parked on the land where the crash happened.

The tragedy took place on the weekend of the Worcester Balloon Festival.

The organisers of the Worcester Balloon Festival said the crash is not related to the festival.

They said: "There was an incident this morning, under investigation, it was not the festival it was independent.

"The festival finished last night, it was not connected to the festival."

Eyewitnesses spoke of their shock at what they saw. 

One witness said: “There were lots of balloons in the sky because it was clear and sunny despite being so early.

“Suddenly there was a flash and what looked like a fireball coming from a blue balloon and it just dropped like a stone.

“We called the emergency services but had difficulty getting through on the 999 number because it was down.

“We finally got through. It was a terrible thing to see.”

Tributes began pouring in on social media after the news broke, with many people sending their wishes.

READ MORE: Crash not related to Worcester Balloon Festival says organisers

Pat Slemp said: "So sad to hear of this tragic news. My sincerest thoughts are with the family."

Julie Smith said "So sad. My thoughts with his loved ones" and Amanda Kemp said, "That’s so so sad, thoughts are with their loved ones."

We asked West Midlands Ambulance Service for comment.