A MOTORBIKE rider killed in a horrific crash in Halesowen had passed her test and bought her "dream" bike the day before tragedy struck - an inquest held today heard.

Gemma Smith was on a ride to Bridgnorth with her brother and three friends when her Kawasaki 650 bike hit the central reservation on the A456 Manor Way, at around 12.20pm on September 14 this year.

Passers by fought to save the 24-year-old "kind and caring" student paramedic by giving her CPR before the emergency services arrived, but she died from her injuries two days later in the Q.E hospital.

An inquest at the Black Country Coroners' Court in Oldbury today (Monday) heard how motorists had seen the five riders on the 70mph dual carriageway, which has a metal barrier in the middle, travelling towards Hagley.

One said he had commented to his partner that it was "an accident waiting to happen" after they passed and another estimated their speed to be around 80mph.

But area coroner Joanne Lees said: "There are no findings as far as the speed of the bikes and whether speed was a contributory factor to the crash."

She added that Gemma, of Sycamore Road, Oldbury, had lost control and hit the central reservation on the slight left hand bend for an "unknown reason."

The group of five riders were Gemma, her brother Owen Smith, his girlfriend Charlotte Pearson, Greg Hemming and Luke Woodall.

They had met at Streetbike in Halesowen and gone on the ride on the sunny day.

Senior investigating officer sergeant Dean Caswell said no evidence was available as to the speed of the bikes as there was no CCTV or speed cameras and that motorists' perception of a motorbike's speed can sometimes be misplaced.

Sgt Caswell read a statement from Luke Woodall.

Luke said they were sticking to the 70 mph limit - he moved into the slow lane and Gemma overtook him, but didn't race off.

He saw Gemma drifting towards the central reservation - he thought she started to slow then saw her bike mount the kerb with its front wheel - with debris flying up and Gemma being flung from the bike and landing in the road with her helmet landing some distance away with the strap still done up.

Sgt Caswell told the court there were no defects to the bike or helmet, which probably came off due to the force of the collision and Gemma's injuries, or with the road surface, which was dry.

Gemma's dad Garry Smith told the inquest the former Perryfields High pupil had been "riding a new bike which was one day old - she had been talking about it for a long time and finally got her dream" the day before the accident, the day which she had passed her motorbike riding test.

He said his daughter was a "wonderful, caring person dedicated to helping others and who excelled in all she did."

He told the court how she had donated organs to three women on her death, which he and Gemma's mother Joanne Smith were very proud of.

He added: "We as a family will always be devastated by this accident, which took Gemma away from us far too soon."

Gemma's mum Joanne told the inquest Gemma had passed an accountancy course and had a job lined up, but had been inspired to change direction after seeing paramedics in action and helping on the scene herself when a neighbour had an accident.

Coroner Joanne Lees recorded the cause of death as a traumatic brain injury, due to a road traffic collision.

After the inquest Garry and Joanne Smith said they were a very close family who enjoyed activities together such as motorbike-riding, 17th century re-enactments, camping trips and canoeing.

They said Gemma was a home checker for German Shepherd Rescue Elite and an active member of Stourbridge Arm Canoe Club, where she enjoyed mentoring youngsters and had helped look after her grandparents, who are missing her terribly.

They said £1.5k had been raised for charities from donations at her funeral and gofundme appeal has been set up in her memory by fellow students and paramedics at Dudley hub where she was based.