Stourbridge 2, Bromsgrove Sporting 1

STOURBRIDGE came from behind to earn a battling bank holiday victory over Bromsgrove Sporting at the War Memorial Ground.

The Glassboys took the bragging rights after a Mike Taylor header and Liam Spink own goal saw them hit back after Shaquille McDonald’s opener for the Rouslers.

Sporting pushed them all the way but could find a way back during an even second half.

Bromsgrove had started the brighter in the frantic opening moments at a sun-drenched Amblecote as their ability to drive forward with the ball at feet soon disrupted the Glassboys. Too often the home side’s passes went astray as the visitors harried and hassled.

It was Sporting that opened the scoring on 11 minutes when Shaquille McDonald was played in down the right channel by Liam Spink. The pacey striker twisted and turned beyond covering defender Ash Carter before firing neatly past James Wren.

Stour needed an answer and got it just eight minutes later when Mike Taylor glanced Tom Turton’s corner beyond Tony Breedon.

Sporting had done well to limit the hosts until that point but were undone by a set-piece as the game was levelled.

Taylor nearly had his second on 23 minutes but he dragged his shot narrowly wide after a powerful run into the Rouslers’ box.

Suddenly it was the Glassboys keeping the heat on as Mills fired wide before Taylor then headed over as chances started to arrive.

Stour did have the lead on the half hour mark after a driving run from Jordaan Brown caused havoc in the Sporting rearguard. The left-back was played in by a neat one-two with Taylor and Liam Spink could only divert the ball beyond Keeper Breeden as he slid in to prevent Brown firing home.

Sporting continued to pose a threat through the lightening pace of McDonald.

He tested Wren from range on 40 minutes as Bromsgrove ended the half with a flurry but couldn’t find a way past Wren.

Bromsgrove again started the second half well after the introduction of Charlie Dowd on the right flank.

It was from the left where the first real danger of the half came for the Glassboys as Kieran Westwood broke forward but couldn’t quite find McDonald with his cross.

Stour’s first threat came from the long throw of sub Tom Tonks. Brown rose to meet his first effort just before the hour mark but could only head over the bar from six yards out.

The clash remained an even affair for long spells with both sides cancelling each other out.

Greg Mills went down in the area under a challenge from former Stour favourite Leon Broadhurst on 67 minutes but the ref was quick to wave away the appeals.

The contest remained in the balance heading into the final 15 minutes as Mills failed to hand Stour the comfort of a two-goal advantage as he curled a free-kick just wide from the edge of the box after Landell had been pulled to the ground by Broadhurst.

Bromsgrove pushed for an equaliser late on as they went long to sub Kyle Perry.

He fired off target late on but also found himself in a number of battles with Tonks and Kristian Green as they tried to deal with his aerial threat.

Stour dealt with that challenge to make sure they picked up a hard-fought three points.

Stourbridge: Wren, Green, Brown, Turton, Williams, Carter, Bellis, Winwood, Taylor (Landell 68), Botfield (Tonks 52), Mills (Finn 78).

Unused subs: Price, Grocott.

Bromsgrove: Breeden, Westwood (Perry 73), Wilson, Hayward, Broadhurst, Hull, Spink (Dowd 45), Quaynor, McDonald, Gregory, Thompson-Brown (Pykett 68).

Unused subs: Taylor, Brown.

Att: 1,158.