THE rain once again hampered Worcestershire's pre-season preparations on Tuesday as the second day of their two-day game with Hampshire down in Southampton was abandoned.

Both sides had hoped to bat and bowl for a day each in the match but rain after lunch at the Utilita Bowl on Tuesday meant the game was scrapped, but both sides were able to get some practice in.

Conditions were weighed heavily in favour of the bowlers on day one when Worcestershire batted first against the Kookaburra ball which was being used in preparation for the opening two Championship matches away to Warwickshire and Nottinghamshire.

Jake Libby, who was captaining Worcestershire, did the bulk of the early scoring and made 25 off 35 balls with four boundaries before he was bowled by a delivery which jagged back from Brad Wheal.

Wickets fell at regular intervals in the helpful conditions but Matthew Waite produced some excellent aggression in his second knock.

He raced to 43 not out from just 21 balls in an innings reminiscent of his two half-centuries against Gloucestershire at Cheltenham in the County Championship.

Waite picked up three fours in an over from James Fuller and struck Wheal over the mid-wicket boundary to bring up the 100.

He then pulled Fuller for another maximum to complete a half century stand with Brookes who played the supporting role.

Worcestershire reached 116-11 in their 45 overs during a three-hour opening session before taking three wickets in Hampshire's response.

When Hampshire batted, Leach and left armer Ben Gibbon shared the new ball.

Gibbon made the initial breakthrough when new Hampshire signing, Ali Orr (5), was bowled with a delivery angled into the left hander.

Runs were again hard to come by against an accurate attack and the first seven overs yielded only seven runs.

Leach was rewarded when a delivery of extra bounce trimmed the bails of Fletcha Middleton (0).

Gibbon accounted for another left hander when Nick Gubbins (13) offered no stroke and was bowled.

After a trio of players retired not out, Finch struck shortly before the close on 141-4 from 45 overs when Ben Brown (14) was lbw to a full length delivery.

The two teams were scheduled to repeat the 45 overs per side formula on day two with Hampshire batting first after winning the toss.

But only 23 overs were possible before rain led to proceedings being abandoned with the home side 95-1.

Waite made the breakthrough for Worcestershire after coming on first change when Middleton (11) was lbw.