A FIRE at a block of flats in Rubery is believed to have been caused by an electrical issue from cannabis cultivating equipment.

Firefighters were called to Park Way on July 16 at around 7:58am to a severe fire in the roof space.

West Midlands Fire Service evacuated the block and no one was injured.

A spokesperson for West Midlands Police said: "Our investigators believe the fire was started by an electrical issue in equipment allegedly being used to cultivate cannabis."

Initially three fire engines including 15 firefighters, from Northfield, Kings Norton and Bournbrook fire stations attended the scene.

A spokesperson for West Midlands Fire Service said: “A further four engines and one of our hydraulic platforms were also sent to the scene.

“Our firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used hose reels and a main jet to extinguish the fire. They also conducted a thorough search to be sure that no residents were still inside.

“A structural engineer attended because of concerns about the building’s stability.

“The fire was confirmed to be fully out by 11am, when we started to scale down our resources.”